PSP comes in a black color, with a 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD centered in a sleek ergonomic design with a high-quality finish that fits comfortably in the hands. The dimensions are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm with a weight of 260g. PSP features a high-quality TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. It also comes complete with the basic functions of a portable player such as built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector, brightness control and sound mode selection. Keys and controls inherit the same operability of PlayStation and PlayStation 2, familiar to fans all over the world.
PSP also comes equipped with diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, providing connectivity to various devices in the home and to the wireless network outside. The world of gaming is further enhanced by enabling users to enjoy online gaming, or by connecting multiple PSPs to each other, directly via the wireless network. In addition, software and data can be downloaded through a USB or wireless network onto Memory Stick PRO Duo. All of these features can be enjoyed on one single system.
PSP adopts a small but high-capacity optical medium UMD (Universal Media Disc), enabling game software, rich with full-motion video and other forms of digital entertainment content, to be stored. The newly developed UMD, the next-generation compact storage media, is only 60mm in diameter but can store up to 1.8GB of digital data. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as music video clips, movies and sports programs can be provided on UMD. To protect this entertainment content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit.
SCEI intends to aggressively promote PSP and UMD as the new handheld entertainment platform for the coming era.
PSP Product Specifications
- Product Name: PlayStation Portable (PSP)
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
- Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
- CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
- Main Memory: 32MB
- Embedded DRAM: 4MB
- Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
- Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers
- Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), USB 2.0 (Target), Memory Stick PRO Duo, IrDA, IR Remote (SIRCS)
- Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)
- Profile: PSP Game, UMD Audio, UMD Video
- Main Connectors: DC OUT 5V, Terminals for charging built-in battery, Headphone/Microphone/Control connector
- Keys/Switches: Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)Analog pad, Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Left, Right keys START, SELECT, HOME, POWER On/Hold/Off switch, Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-, Wireless LAN On/Off switch, UMD Eject
- Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
- Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control
- Accessories: Stand, Headphone with remote commander, Headphone with remote commander and microphone, External battery pack, Case, Strap
- E3 Prototype Exhibition: USB Camera for PSP, USB GPS for PSP, USB Keyboard for PSP
- Dimensions: Approx. 65 mm (W) x 64 mm (D) x 4.2 mm (H)
- Weight: Approx. 10g
- Disc Diameter: 60 mm
- Maximum Capacity: 1.8GB (Single-sided, dual layer)
- Laser wavelength: 660nm (Red laser)
- Encryption: AES 128bit
- Profile: PSP Game (full function), UMD Audio (codec ATRAC3plus, PCM, (MPEG4 AVC)), UMD Video (codec MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus, Caption PNG)