The Bottom Line
- Aliens vs Predator is a rich universe
- Few console based RTS games out there
- Uninspired gameplay
- Awkward controls
- Few console based RTS games out there for a reason
- Graphics: 3 Despite a zoomable camera characters are too small. Bland textures and boring terrain
- Sound: 3.5 Music is fair, sound effects are fun, voice overs are too quiet
- Concept: 2 A console based RTS is always a risk, and this one didn't pay off
- Control: 1.5 I love my Dual Shock, but it simply wasn't meant to do this. Selecting units was a pain
- Difficulty: 3 Not too bad, but you will have to repeat some levels
- Replay: 2 Once was more than enough
- All scores are out of 5. The overall rating is not an average of the above scores.
Guide Review - Aliens versus Predator: Extinction - Xbox, PS2
Aliens versus Predator had a tough hill to climb. Real time strategy games tend not to work on consoles. This was no exception. The problem is scrolling and selecting units. Even with an analog controller it is difficult to control scroll speed, and almost impossible to select individual units, once they get bunched up together. But the real problem wasn't technical.
The game simply lacked a soul. There was no real unifying theme, and the missions felt like individual minigames rather than a campaign. Neat idea, poor execution.