The Bottom Line
- Trippy Psychedelic Graphics
- Extremely Original Action Video Game
- Transform and Control Time
- Action can get repetitive
- Cheesy Dialog
- Graphics: 4.5 - Very trippy, very hip, but there is a whole lot of pink and purple... hmmmm
- Sound: 3.5 - Great music, decent sound, but Nevin, the main character will get on your nerves
- Concept: 5 - Thank you THQ for taking a chance and bringing us something new. Time Dilation rules!
- Control: 4.5 - Good, felt intuitive, though the camera angles get odd when you are climbing walls
- Difficulty: Medium - it felt just about right.
- Replay: 2.5 - Once you've done it, you've done it.
- All scores are out of 5. The overall rating is not an average of the above scores.
Guide Review - Alter Echo - PS2, Xbox
First, you can transform into 3 different modes, a chameleon like stealth mode, a sword wielding mode, and a heavy arms gun mode. You can also control time and rearrange the terrain, both governed by a mini-game. If you want to freeze time, you have to play a quick puzzle game, if you beat it, time stops and you get to watch Nevin decimate opponents frozen in time. The biggest twist is a Tony Hawk-esque combo mode. Earn big combos for creative kills.
Is Alter Echo perfect? No, it can get repetitive. But, it is fun and original - a fact which few games today can claim.