1. Computing

DC Universe Online Broken? "World Down!"

By January 16, 2011

So, I gush about†DC Universe Online in my review,†then I go to play it I get an error message saying I can't download a critical update. It finally downloads and I go to play "Rahjur" on "The Killing Joke" sever, only to find out, in rather dramatic language (World Down!), that the server was down for maintenance.

Not only that, apparently all the "Worlds" were down. Guess the villains finally won... joking aside, not something you want to have happen on your launch weekend.

Update: "DCUO" seems to be back up and running fine. The IT superheroes must have come in and saved the day.

1/18/11 Update: I take it back. "DCUO" seems to be having serious server issues. I'm sure SOE will work it out, but through the weekend and even today, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not your server will be up or if you'll get the "World Down!" message at any given time.

Comments
January 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm
(1) Mike dow says:

I rushed out my home last night to buy this game and was having fun playing last night but this morning I woke up to ” disconnected unknown you must be signed in to pan a d connected to online network to play” but the joke is on me because I am connected and I haven’t been able to play this game all day I am so sad I am thinking about returning the game and asking for a refund

January 16, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(2) DarkHawkZ says:

same here. i am connected but it wont let me on . i am so disappointed with this game. its the worst game i own so far. if you’re thinking of buying it … dont. 15 bucks amonth my ass . i didn’t know about that crap till after i paid 90 bucks for the collectors edition. fuq DC

January 17, 2011 at 12:38 am
(3) Eric says:

I still cannot get on! I played last night but today, MAINTENANCE and now I just keep getting the DISCONNECT or even weirder it said at one point, YOU ARE 499 IN LINE TO QUE

January 17, 2011 at 1:18 am
(4) Dan says:

I personally have had a really good time with DCu but it does have its issues. That being said I still think people are being understandably harsh over what I consider small issues because its got the monthly.
Playing with so many people at once is really very fun but obviously going to cause issues, my advice would be to over look these small things witch are bound to be fixed and enjoy a new fun game.

January 17, 2011 at 2:21 am
(5) Guest says:

It was maintenance… i was playing when it was announced, they gave half an hour warning with incremental announcements so everyone could get to a safe place

January 17, 2011 at 8:21 am
(6) Solarious says:

It is a little rediculous when they ask you for money monthly and you have issues. With anyother service if you pay a monthly fee they usualy will re-emburse you a pro-rated portion of your money. I have been a PS3 on line user for years and have endured early online glitches with games but this is the first game that they expect you to pay for so I expect much better service. Im just sayin.

January 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(7) Guest says:

I think everyone needs to chill out it the first mmo on a ps3 never been done before. So of course they are gonna have issues the games was just released and there are so many people playing they have already had to add servers. I personally am glad that it’s going down for maintainence and having updates and they are just sitting on the side and letting the game have issues. Thats why you pay monthly so you can get something good and not just a game where they throw it out there and drop one map pack in a year and move on to the next game.

January 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(8) foxman218 says:

its a MMO they gotta add new stuff and change things all the time! get used to it!!!

January 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm
(9) Kevin says:

Great game have fun when the game plays this is the third day in a row that my world was down they fix it and then within the same day it goes down paying $15 a month for game that lets me play when IT wants to let me feels like sum SCAM

January 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm
(10) guest says:

they should have updates on the website, i go there sometimes but there is never any NEW info.

January 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(11) plato says:

so just like everyone else i pay 60 bucks for this “amazing” game get to enjoy it for a few hours come back and “WORLD DOWN!” is on the screen every time i look at it! and like everyone else i pay 15 bucks a month to just to play this game so thats 75 bucks for something that works when it wants to!? i’m not a rich kid so when i pay cash like that i want it to work

January 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(12) Kevin says:

No for me really is a great game really do enjoy it it’s just when I can play really wish they would just fix the problem cause SAT SUN AND MON MY’S WORLD WAS DOWN FOR 4-5 HRS AND there all down again today!!!! It’s a lil annoying

January 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(13) Milan says:

So have they completed the maintanence or is it still not working??
because im about to go out and buy the game..

January 21, 2011 at 6:30 am
(14) Guest 17 says:

I do hate that it goes down for maintenance a lot but if it didn’t everyone would be complaining about the bugs that were originally there and wanting it fixed. Sure we gotta pay to play but whats a bit of time where maintenance is happening to better gameplay, its only been out a little while so there’ll still be much to sort out with it. I love that game, sure it can be buggy but its new, all game need updating and patching. Just give it time

January 21, 2011 at 7:33 am
(15) Guest says:

First of all they should have tested the game internally(Beta) and fixed issue and bugs before selling it to the public !! If this was to be rated like any other softwares , this game in terms of its servers is a failure. Everyday maintenance !?

January 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(16) megadon says:

This is ridiculous!!! After heavy subscription fees in Australia, $20 or lowest 99.95 for six months which still works out to $16.65. Thatís more expensive than anywhere in world. Our disconnect and downed servers. We better get this lost time added to our subscription. The game is not even that good, clunky controls, why the hell canít I roll if I hold the lock on button, and why canít I go it to movement mode if Iím in the middle of combat, what if I want to flee. Patches better fix these problems and we better get the down time added to our subscription. Sony and DC, really dropped the ball on this one!!!

January 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(17) Jeff says:

I cannot even download an update of 123mb because of error message 80710723. This BS!!! I cant even play. I did what it said by restarting my modem and router and still nothing. I hate you Playstation, you ripped us all off and we will tell the world you MFer’s.

January 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(18) mark says:

Personally, I would not recommend this game. Technical issues aside, it gets boring really fast. Way too scripted for my taste. Gee you’re and idiot, now go do this quest here. Oh, you’re still an idiot, go do this quest here. Get’s old really fast.

With only 30 lvls and no crafting, etc., this game is not worth the initial cost, let alone the continued subscription fee.

Do yourself a favor and pass on this one, until there some serious content additions.

February 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm