1. Computing

PS3 Games for $40 Dollars?

By February 23, 2009

Futuresource Consulting's senior market analyst Mai Hoang is claiming that Sony is considering offering $40 versions of their $60 disc based games.

In this strategy, gamers would save $20 by forgoing the box and disc and buying the game and downloading it from the PlayStation network.

The plan makes fiscal sense, as the manufacturing, shipping, and paying of retailers a cut of the game digs into the profitability of the title. Downloadable games keep the majority of the money in the hands of Sony, the developer and the publisher.

Right now it's just a rumor, and to be frank, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I still have games from the 80's, thanks largely to physical media. I'm curious, would you buy downloadable games if they were $20 less?

[Source: Joystiq]

Comments
February 23, 2009 at 9:24 am
(1) Superdynamite says:

As a consumer, there’s nothing like having different options in life.

If you like having disc in-hand for an extra $20 or save $20 by downloading. Either way, it’s the option that counts.

February 23, 2009 at 10:01 am
(2) James Humphrey says:

First thing that I think of is that hd based games should load a good bit faster. That would be a plus. I kinda like having a stack of physical discs to look through, but if it is set up like the PSN games and you can download them again if they get deleted or your drive goes bad, they may be on to something.
Couple of problems, though. Cable companies are setting rules to slow down your internet if you dl more than a certain amount. Mine is 5gb a month right now, and one blu-ray game would eat that up quick. I also have a 320gb drive in my ps3 and around 20 games on disc. 20 would eat up a good bit of my hd.

February 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(3) gamer says:

I think this is a good idea for Sony as long as they don’t force you to only be able to download games. Having the option is the key. This will also encourage deveplopers to make games for Sony (until Microsoft does the same) because this way developers make more money because there will be less used games purchased(developers make no money on the purchase of used games). The only real losers in this are companies like gamestop. They make most of thier money off of used games.

February 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm
(4) WMReed says:

The biggest drawback to me is that taking a game to a friend’s house becomes more troublesome. In “my perfect world” we’d download our own games and have the ability to burn our own hard copy onto a disc for archival purposes.

I know this opens a door to pirating, but in “my perfect world” nobody would do that. I said perfect, not realistic or practical.

February 27, 2009 at 12:38 pm
(5) Dallas K says:

Options are always nice but if you really think about it, downloading games to save money is not the best option.

I purchase used games for 50% less than *new* sticker price from retailers. I only purchase used games that are scratch-free and appear as if brand new. After completing a game, it is easy to resell for the same price you paid or perhaps $5 – $10 less.

Based solely on purchasing new games – the average game retails for $55 + tax so let’s round it up to $60. You can resell this game for $40+, dependent upon its demand and popularity.

You do the math. 40 – 60 = -20. Why spend $40 on a downloadable game when you can’t resell it? -20 (reselling) vs -40 (downloading)

February 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(6) joe says:

I don’t even have a PS3 yet. I havent been able to afford the assanine price tag. And yeah I know its a bluray player too, ooooooo but who the hell cares. I just wanted a backwards compatible gaming machine. I didnt ask for the betamax I mean bluray player incl. Besides, I’m still enjoying the hell outta my PS2

February 27, 2009 at 1:03 pm
(7) joe says:

you might want to check this out. it’s news about Sony..

March 2, 2009 at 9:58 am
(8) CivicEk321 says:

If I could save $20 whole dollars on them then I certainly would. If the savings was less than that I would have a hard time because I really like having a box and a disc to use. It feels more secure and harder to lose. I mean, what if my PS3 was to die suddenly? Would I lose all of my downloaded games? That would suck!! But for a $20 savings, I’d take the risk if Sony says they would pay back what you lost if your system died.

March 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(9) LewisG says:

As long as downloading doesn’t become the ‘norm’.

I want to hold onto my software as physical media. I don’t mind, downloading good/smaller games (Stardust, Monsters, Eden). But No, I don’t want to download ‘full’ games like Call Of Duty, Oblivion, Blazing Angels, Secret Weapons…

I have the 60GB launch console, I Don’t want to fill the HDD with games that can be loaded from disc.

How about an “option”. If I download the game, then I can get the physical disc for a TOKEN amount (5.00). Definately under $10.00 which must include all S&H.

I just got back a couple of games I loaned to a co-worker. He’ll go out and buy the (used version) of 1 if not both of them now that he had a chance to play them for a week or so.

August 23, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(10) martin8806 says:

YES!!! I would download the games versus buying the hard copy. Im in the military currently stationed oversea. I cant just walk to the nearest game store and pick up a new game. If I do get a chance to go buy one its months old. Downloading the game directly would be perfect. I can keep up with my friends back in the states and I wouldnt have to worry about where to put all thoses disc cases…