1. Technology

The World's First PS3 Hack - PS3 Game Dumping

By November 26, 2006

Well, it's been done, on Thanksgiving none the less. Someone has figured out how to "backup" PS3 Blu-Ray discs. While backing up your games sounds like noble "research" it also opens up the door to copy PS3 games and distribute them via torrents or other download services.

I'm not one to promote or decry copying. I happen to think PSP homebrew is one of the brighter spots on the PSP. I also think that console companies would do well to embrace, rather than battle hackers. But what I believe is irrelevant, what you really want to know about is how the PS3 got hacked.

PS3news.com broke the story, covering the exploits and details of how it was done. For specifics, I recommend visiting PS3news. But in a nutshell, via the installation of a version of Linux, some backup software, and copy of Madden '07 three games have been successfully backed up, or "dumped", Madden, Resistance, and Genji.

Thre process isn't simple, but it seems easier than many of the PS3 hacks that are out there. Of course, if the PSP has taught us anything, it's that Sony doesn't take kindly to hackers. I'd bet even money on a new PS3 update that patches the problem being a requirement to play any new game in '07.

[Source: PS3news.com]

Comments
November 28, 2006 at 11:07 am
(1) ryan says:

hi, im posting this every where i can…. is there anyone or anyway who knows if sony can copyright or something like that so people can’t buy the ps3 and re-sell it on e-bay. it ruins the fun for the people who actually want the system to play and keep. not to make more money on.

November 29, 2006 at 2:21 pm
(2) kevin says:

no there isn’t, at least not in the US and most other ‘free’ democratic countries. it’s called something along the lines of free trade. though local and state laws may differ, check with your local authorities first.

December 17, 2006 at 8:54 am
(3) Bedhouin says:

How on Earth does other people reselling their consoles ruin your “fun”? If you can’t get one then wait patiently like your Mother taught you to do when you were little.

April 11, 2007 at 4:30 am
(4) jon says:

Please please tell me how i can play ps1,ps2 games on ps3. Thankyou.

May 6, 2007 at 8:55 am
(5) other ryan says:

um. you insert the cd/dvd? Now I believe your real question should be How Do I SAVE ps1, ps2 games? In that case your answer is to create virtual memory cards or something along those lines.

January 30, 2008 at 6:30 pm
(6) catz says:

its already 2008! now what?

June 18, 2008 at 8:29 am
(7) oz says:

look it’s REAL simple to copy PS1 and PS2 games, just use Game Copy Pro or better yet use alcohol 120% to burn them as an ISO Image and then re-burn onto another disc. Just make sure that your PS2 can play DVD-R movies before you try it out. Although if your PS2 can’t play DVD-R movies, then simply use an emulator on your Home PC so that you can play the copies on your PC Computer. It’s hardly Rocket Science (I have done it at least 20 times)!!

July 20, 2008 at 2:55 am
(8) the other other ryan says:

so how do u put them onto the ps3 den? (ps3 without ps2/ps1 playback)

August 20, 2008 at 11:10 am
(9) Iwonderpants says:

ive made an accidental discovery…via backing up the ps3 games the can saved and played on the HD. How so? if you havent noticed certain ps2 games can be downloaded from the playstation store and saved on the HD. These games are placed in the game folder and play just like arcade games…well..so can the ps3 games….there are a few glitches that happen every once in a while though…some games wont let you save. some game…like metal gear…when you have to load into the second part or the disc(where it shows him smoking)freezes up…dont know why.

August 27, 2008 at 3:17 pm
(10) Ian says:

r u fuckin stupid ryan, honestly, js bcoz ur jealous that people r making money out of re-sells and ur nt u shud try and stop someones life, and living to make cash. You such a dumbass.

September 14, 2008 at 1:09 pm
(11) victor says:

is the game folder on the HDD or a usb stick?

November 4, 2008 at 12:42 am
(12) I_know_you_know_i_know_ says:

Dumped meaning Saved as an ISO file “image”, well. Stupid fucks its not hard to do things if you know what your doing 3 mins reading about it and you can do it. Same with everything eles. Get games on your ps3 with out paying for them this could, drain your money because you want the game with out Going on your HDD FOR GOOD, you have to burn it onto a blu-ray Disk for you to do this task. You must frist have a computer, have a good computer. a blu-ray disk burner. Then before that a shit load of time to download. Ps3 games are big but if you have the time id just say find the torrent download it. get a usb hard drive for you ps3 that will work with it, make sure you get the right one, seach for XMB PS3 update hack. Then the end once the download is down save it on either the blu-ray disk, or your hard drive. whatever you can do. then just see if everything worked out for you. i would say its not a good idea, because im sure as hell not getting virus on my ps3 ill just buy the damn game. To much work for me but i guess it could be something to do for a nobody bum. That doesnt have a job and has to steal everything.

Peace,
I KNOW YOU KNOW I KNOW>

January 4, 2009 at 6:41 am
(13) joe says:

Backing up should be a given right! How many game discs no longer play and could have been svaed by using the back-up copy. It seems to take almost NO disc damage or defect to lose a game and the 60 dollars payed…

January 12, 2009 at 8:19 am
(14) Fadi says:

Is it possible to use recreated BD?

January 25, 2009 at 5:25 pm
(15) pmped_yer_Granny says:

The best way to back up your games is to swipe them in your grandmas snatch and then smack her upside the head with the PS3. the game will be transferred through osmosis from her wrinkled ass to your console.

February 25, 2009 at 12:11 am
(16) ala says:

hello i want to download free gta iv for my ps3 how can i download games for my ps3 like gta iv games and my ps3 gb is 80gb please i need you help help how can i download ps3games for my ps3 like full version games please help me if you can thanks my email address is ala2006@live.com

April 9, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(17) Marcos says:

All i have to say about all this hacking b******* its a f***** waste of time first if u dont have a BD burner u have to buy that means money then buy discs then put up with all the hassle of finding and downloading s**** online might as well by the game…. for all u broke m********** be patient save up ur cash buy it new or used the majority of my games are all used these thins are surface scratch proof.. u could get games for like 25 to 35 buck if they dont have them used at the time juss f***** wait…hacking is only done by a bunch of broke m********** that cant afford s****… all Sony is going to do is keep adding patches patches and more f****** patches that in order for you to play your game or online game which ever is the case you will have to download that m********* or u wont play at all…anyways don’t waste ur time doing that s**** this is a f**** expensive machine that honestly its not worth it f**** around with it….

April 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm
(18) daniel says:

i don t kow from what website u can dowlode linux please tell me.and do u dowlode into your ps3 or you computer.

April 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm
(19) techno6720 says:

Ps3 Games
To anyone searching to copy a PS3 game. Do not bother.
It cannot be done effectively or cost effectively.
I have tried and not found any advertized or hacking
Program on the internet claiming to be able to accomplish the task
to actually work.
I have spent a considerable amount of my time and money,
downloaded and installed all the software that claim to be
able too and not a one has worked.
I have tried with several different burners, namely the
most popular ones such as the LG HD DVD HL-DT-ST_BD-RE GGW-H20L YL05
Firmware rev. 1.0.0.1 and the Pioneer HD Burner.
Blue Ray drives will not read a PS3 Game no matter what anyone on the
Internet claims, they will not work.
I further challenge anyone to prove me wrong by sending me a drive, a copy
piece of software and a blank Blue Ray disk, I will provide the game.
After a successful burn I will in kind return your equipment on successful
burn and I will retract this.
No one will take this on because they know I am right.
Conversely send me a game you have copied that will play on my PS3. I guaranty
I will have no takers as like I said this will not work.

April 24, 2009 at 10:50 am
(20) @ techno6720 says:

Thats why you install Linix on the PS3 as the PS3 BLU RAY CAN READ PS3 BLU RAY DISKS :)

You then burn the disk to an ISO and use that ISO to burn your new disks using a Blu Ray Writer, or put them in the /games folder.

Your not trying clever enough :)

April 29, 2009 at 8:50 am
(21) Broke_mudder says:

i have had my PS3 for 8 months now and only with the games it came with – two – Stuntman ignition and Cars. couls not afford to buy more games then. Saved money and now i can afford Fallout 3. oh how i will cherish that game – i saved so long for it – make your life meaningful and stop wasting time looking for cracks and hacks

April 30, 2009 at 11:36 pm
(22) Ricks says:

So does this proof techno6720 was wrong or what?

and how do you burn dvd on ps3, it works as reader not writer..

June 2, 2009 at 10:37 am
(23) Dboy says:

you would need to use an image burning converter.. like alcohol 120%

July 12, 2009 at 9:27 pm
(24) Allproman says:

I have yet to see any software that could backup games from PS3 or any console that I know of. Just about all are just scams and the ones that do work only work half way descent at best. You are better off just renting a game you like.

August 30, 2009 at 12:43 am
(25) illegal_coppier says:

first:

from a pc go to ubuntu.com and download the latest desktop iso.

second:
burn the ubuntu iso to a disk

third:
insert the disk into the ps3

forth:
install ubuntu

fifth:
eject the disc, reset the ps3 and run from ubuntu

sixth:
go to applications > sound and video > brasero disc burner

seventh:
insert the disc you want to burn

eighth:
make an iso of the disc using brasero disc burner on your hdd

ninth:
open and play the game from the game folder.

done.

all you stupid idiots that couldn’t figure that out. i feel sorry for you.

it as simple as that

September 8, 2009 at 5:34 pm
(26) DKZ says:

Umm, the PS3 has a READ ONLY drive it can’t burn anything.

You would follow the method illegal copier provided, but you need to have an external burner.

September 22, 2009 at 10:45 am
(27) Dalle says:

Hi, it sound to easy to be true?
What does the ubuntu do? Dont i need a bluray burner?

September 26, 2009 at 9:27 pm
(28) fuqthegovt says:

Ubuntu = version of linux = OS other than xp/vista
once you have the game on your PS3 hard drive by following illegal’s post connect an external hd to the PS3 thru a usb port then copy the game to the external hd. Once that is done connect to a pc with a blue ray burner and burn the folder as a data disc. Believe it or not so far most blue ray ps3 games are only 2-8 gb and will fit on a dvd9 disc.

October 20, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(29) Playawiz says:

can I unistall ubuntu afterwards?

October 30, 2009 at 8:28 am
(30) willeuphoria says:

i have a lot of ps3 games,what software can i use to reproduce them?is there any way that ps3 games can be copied ?what website will i use?

November 8, 2009 at 3:29 pm
(31) the other other another ryan says:

Wow the ps3 is the best machine ever the xbox sux balls! :D

November 17, 2009 at 9:24 am
(32) Lynnden says:

Did anyone have any success with this?
I am fed up of my son damaging his PS3 games and me having to re-buy them.

November 23, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(33) esso_600 says:

Does any one have a ps3 game which he dont need and can donate with it there is some people in Africa is some Schools and orphans houses who need something like that which is very useful for you and will leave a smile on a child face ? if any one can do that and can ship it to Egypt please contact me on my email .. thanks every body MCS .
Regards
Moro088@yahoo.com

December 7, 2009 at 5:22 am
(34) Fooley says:

Also, if anyone has a PS3 console they want to donate to any UK school, I am sure they would love to have one. Unlike some nations that apparently have the money to supply their schools with high end gaming equipment, the UK government is in such massive debt, it is unlikely that they will ever provide schools with a budget for such hardware.
Cheers!

January 10, 2010 at 12:14 am
(35) poopy says:

not our fault they are in debt….

January 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(36) MrsPeacock says:

he is nothing but a scammer who should be arrested

August 1, 2010 at 11:17 pm
(37) Renato Nantes says:

Good morning all.
I would like to know step by step how I can burn BD on the PS3 computer.
I am interested in playing games on the PS3 series.
Send me the email.
Please
ntsre@hotmail.com
Thanks

January 9, 2011 at 12:54 am
(38) v1rus213 says:

Why is everybody being such childish pricks to eachother, its like nobody can give information without sticking their tongues out, and yelling – “ner-ner, i’m better that you!”

RIGHT!, YOU IMBECILES!!!

January 9, 2011 at 1:03 am
(39) noodles says:

Hi,
If ANYBODY can spare some PS3s for the childrens homes in london, they would really appreciate it! just send them to my address, and I’l get them straight to them, and put a smile on their little faces!!

Only Slim PS3s, because I,.., – I mean,..; the children dont want the fat old ones.
PS. send lots of games too… new ones.

Ha-Ha-Ha… Oops, I mean; the children thank you!!